8.15.2024

comic relief

I actually have something robot related today for you, my club!

today I was bored. the end of summer is almost here and i feel like nothing has happened because of days like today. because nothing was happening. I bought pizza. I played Everything Stays (from adventure time) on bass and Misses (by dominic fike) on guitar. and I thought about the comic strips I drew as a child. 

this idea has been marinating in my brain for like 2 days right now. the vision was a boy and a robot. the boy was burning ants with a magnifying glass. then the robot zaps the ants with his laser eyes. and then the boy looks back to the robot and says something like "show off  >:/"

you see, i was just going to draw the comic strip and be done there. but i started to get excited. and i started to think about the story and the characters and their origins and how i could not only have one of my favorite things (robots) with one of my other favorite things (the classical world)!!! and how beautiful the blend of ultramodern technology and classical technology could be!!! and so i began...

The Robot: MDM03/Tris


the robot is was made in a lab in the year 2506 AD as a weapon for war but he refused to be a killing machine and he escaped through a secret government prototype time machine and ended up in Hellenistic Syracuse! his model name was MDM03 (Mass Destruction Mechanoid 03) but the boy who finds him calls him Tris (τρῐ́ς) because of the 3. 

The Greek Boy: ???


he is from Syracuse circa Hellenistic period and he is an engineer. he was born without only one whole arm, so even though he's 15 years old he is not training to be a warrior. instead, he is training to be a protégé of Archimedes, the great Syracusan engineer!! if only he could get his attention.. when he finds Tris he has to choose between greatness and a true friend?? 

the Boy has no name yet. and also his relationship with Tris has not been fully fleshed out. I don't know if I want the Boy to be like, protecting Tris from Hiero or Hieronymus (tyrants of Syracuse), or like plotting to use Tris so he can stand out to his idol Archimedes. Do i want the Boy to have this internal battle or just be morally gray or be a total sweetheart or what!!! the storyline has not been filled out bc i wasn't planning on writing a graphic novel or anything. i guess i know why people make these OCs (original characters) and give them backstories and whatnot. i will write the actual comic in a couple days i swear. but i really like this.

I listed the names in the image but the main contenders are Hylas, Nikomachus, and Androkles. I want something very Greek but also cute. i will decide as the days come. my working title for the comic strip is Archimedes' Screw just because it sounds cool but something like Hylas and the Robot or Bots in Syracuse is fun. i could write a lot more about my ideas but they are all in the pictures so why restate it all.

as a child I had a ton of comic series. my favorite followed 2 alien blobs named Evan and Kylo who got into all kinds of trouble. another was about an octuplet of 8 eggs, the Eggtuplets, named after all the different ways to serve an egg (Omelet, Poachy, Sunny, Scrambles, FryFry, Yolker, Deviled, and Benny). i even wrote a comic about my own family on a treasure hunt for canola oil because we always used it to make brownies and the grocery store ran out of it. i think we all should be making comics casually in this way. i will start doing this very soon, i say as i write an entire plotline and universe for a Syracusan boy and a robot from the future.

i love robots and I love classical history. this may be my new passion project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

welcome

welcome to robotics club

I don't know what possessed me to make a blog at 6:55pm on a thursday but I did. I didn't realize how much work it would take to mak...