5.13.2024

consumption


This whole week i have been thinking entitrely bloggable thoughts, but I come here to mu computer now and I am at a loss of words. The keys are asking me what I even mean. I have no new verses of substance, no new pictures taken. I only have the remnants of ideas from last week and they don't really matter right now! So instead I think I will be doing a media dump of everything I've consumed last week. I've been reading a lot more and I think it is genuinely improving my life. I love consumption.

Books

I already wrote on here about Pandora's Jar and I haven't read it all that much lately, but I will say I love the Medea chapter and was not that impressed with the Eurydice chapter. Maybe I just love Medea more than Eurydice. But the Eurydice chapter was more about Orpheus than anything. And while it did expose me to more Orpheus media like Orfeu Negro and various Orpheus operas, it was not an actual exploration of Eurydice's character faults. The rest of the book looks promising though. I also enjoyed the Phaedra chapter. I had never heard her story until now. It makes me want to read every myth ever.

I had to read Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee, for English class, and actually really liked it. I secretly love reading plays but I also feel like it's a waste of money to buy them because so much of the page is blank. Inherit the Wind was just surprisingly fun. 

Lastly, I have been listening to the audiobook of Portrait of a Thief by Grace D. Li. I am an audiobook defender at heart. I'm like 80% through it and I have to say, I wish there were more thieves and less portraits. It's mostly a character study of 5 very similar characters and less of a heist story, as it was advertised. I have no more to say about this right now. I don't like books where the protagonist's biggest struggle is "being too perfect".

Movies/TV

I saw Challengers (2024) last Friday and I think it is the best movie I've seen all year. Or at least my favorite. There is way too much to say about it in one paragraph. But shortly, so I don't ramble: we need more homoeroticism in media. Let the people know. 

I started watching Suits. Because after Inherit the Wind gave me a longing for more legal dramas. I think movies are good for me but TV is not. 

Music

I bought 2 CDs this week: Nocturne by Wild Nothing and Midlife: A Beginners Guide to Blur. I am also a CD defender at heart. Physical media 4 lyfe. These are both very summery records and I love them. I spend more money on CDs than I spend time listening to them. I bought a new walkman to try to make up for it.

My SOTW (linked at the bottom of the page) is currenly Killer Whale by Boyscott. I'm noticing I love short and sweet songs. This song is the sweetest. I'm also noticing I love songs about home. This song sings:

Just promise me you'll be here when I get back // I swear I will be here when you get back // home

This may be a subconscious little trick on my part. I think home is secretly on my mind. I am at home, but some other people aren't. I did buy a copy of Emily Wilson's Odyssey last weekend. Maybe a poem/verse/vague paragraph will be coming soon.

🤖🤖🤖

I think I need to start writing shorter stuff. Posting little writings. Even just posting my favorite works by other people. I'm going to the Met this week, so maybe I'll have some material then. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

welcome

welcome to robotics club

I don't know what possessed me to make a blog at 6:55pm on a thursday but I did. I didn't realize how much work it would take to mak...