6.03.2024

passion pit: love letter to synthy electropop

 


saw Passion Pit. they were awesome

when i was against the barricade, waiting for what felt like a millennia for Michael Angelakos, i looked at my fellow passion pit enjoyers and realized i was the youngest person there. has the age of Passion Pit really washed over us already? the kids are losing culture!

bring back weird and startling songs like sleepyhead. bring back LCD Soundsystem and Santigold and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. this is my love letter to indie sleaze and synthtronica and electropop.

these songs make you feel like a kid playing Little Big Planet, but also a 20-something year old at a house party wearing tube socks. they are so nostalgic yet so futuristic. they are trashy yet lavish. for me, they are reminiscent of walking by the highway on a sunny day, with wired earbuds in ears and sporting a striped shirt. they inspire screaming, they inspire holding, they inspire collapsing on the floor and they inspire getting up.

truly this era was a new movement of music. it took 80s synthpop and 60's rock and added a bunch of clutter to it. the sleaze quickly picked up electroclash, leading to acts like The Knife, Peaches, and Ladytron. i would sell my soul for just one night in Toronto or New York in 2008.

lately it feels like these types of songs are a dying art. my favorite indie sleaze revival act is The Dare, who should be blasted in all clubs in all cities in my opinion. there was an indie sleaze attempt on tiktok last winter, onset by Saltburn (2023), but like all things on tiktok it happened shortly and then it was swiped away.

personally, I will be having an sleazed up synthcore electroclash indietronica summer. I will be streaming Sleigh Bells, The Naked and Famous (forgotten too soon but that tangent is for another time), M.I.A, Black Kids, The Strokes, Bloc Party, and of course, Passion Pit.

(here's more pics i took bc it was the best night ever)





(sotw is The Reeling because its my favorite Passion Pit song AND the first song they played)

p.s. this is basically a photography blog but it was supposed to be a music blog. new music is in the works but nothing solo right now. if only I could make some electropop to put on here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

welcome

welcome to robotics club

I don't know what possessed me to make a blog at 6:55pm on a thursday but I did. I didn't realize how much work it would take to mak...